Just in the southeast of the country, the city opens to the sea while excelling in mild sunny weather all year round.
Almería origins date back to prehistoric times but it was in 955 when it was founded by the Arabs. From those days, the city has kept its impressive fortress, the Alcazaba; the Main Mosque; the Arab Wells and the walls.
It was in the 11th Century, when Almería became the most international port in Al-Ándalus. The city was well-known for its silk industry among others, the excelent quality of the silk and the quantity of the workshops in existence. Despite all this, the city surrended to the Almoravids and it was later when its economic splendor attracted the attention of the Christian kingdoms, which, after bloody battles with the Almohads, annexed the Almerian land to the kingdom of Castille. On 26th December, 1489, the Christian troops entered the city, evangelizing the population and building Christian temples as important as the Cathedral and other temples and churches which transform Almería into an enclave outstanding for its religious architecture.
It was in 1522 when a terrible earthquake caused great damages in the Jewish quarters, and the old quarters, i.e. in the Rambla (watercourse), the Port and Pescadería and La Chanca neighbourhoods. As a consequence all its sea and port infrastructures were destroyed, Almería was set out of the American trade routes and suffered significant economic consequences.
<p class="rtejustify>After the earthquake, the city began to extend towards the East and the construction of a new Cathedral in the outskirts of the old town not only gave birth to the city of the future but conferred a convent character to it as well. Around the walled enclosure, the town expanded to include the Puerta de Purchena and the current Paseo de Almería.
At the beginning of the 18th century, improved socioeconomic conditions, revived agriculture and maritime trade.
There were improvements in the fishing techniques and mining industry arised to confer the city the splendour of the nineteenth century. In those times new areas such as, Las Cruces Street which run along the current Granada Street or Las Almadrabillas quarter, where mainly fishermen lived, were defined.
During the 19th Century, the slow recovery already began in the last two centuries, was evident. It was at the ends of the century that a Second Silver Age had birth in the new trade openness which together with mining and agriculture development had begun along the first decades of the century.
The economic recovery consolidated thanks to the iron ore mining and the exportation of table grape and citrus fruit. This boom was reflected in the construction of some buildings such as the Food Market, the Train Station, the Cable Inglés (mineral loading pier) and the new Port reform which had already begun in 1845.
The first decades of the 20th century were characterized by a deep recession on the provincial economy due to the crisis suffered by the above mentioned industrial sectors.
During the Spanish Civil War, Almería suffered air and sea bombardments. Due to the raids the Almerian architect, Guillermo Langle, decided to build underground bomb shelters to protect the city’s population.
After the War, during the fifties, rationing was ended and new buildings as the Tax Delegation, the National Government’s Office and the old bus station began to be constructed. Spain as a whole began a recovery process, but Almería continued mired in the deepest poverty thus, an important migratory flow towards the Spanish and European industrial regions began. Almería’s airport was inaugurated in 1968.
Economic recovery strengthened during the last decades of Francoism thanks to the greenhouse agriculture, the film industry and the development of tourism industry.
Throughout history, the city has succeeded in making the most of cultural and natural resources, being one of the few cities whose 40 km of coastline offer virgin beaches, covves and an amazing landscape along all the Cabo de Gata-Nijar Natural Park.